The AR challenge for emerging technology vendors
It’s hard for small and emerging technology vendors to steer their path with analyst relations
You might lack the experience to do this effectively. You probably don’t have the time to persist with the effort.
You could easily become disheartened…
- Large and established competitors appear to steel the limelight and dominate “magic quadrant” or “wave” reports
- Analysts try to avoid influence exerted by vendors
- You suspect that the analysts you brief remember little about you.
But the truth is, you can exert influence and gain insight and rewards from engaging with industry analysts like Forrester and Gartner, as well as smaller analyst firms. To achieve cut-through, you’ll need to tread a tactful path to influence analysts without irking them.
With my experience and assistance, you can ensure your investment in analyst relations delivers measurable success for your business
A successful approach for analyst relations
- Agree business goals and aligned objectives for AR
- Agree KPIs and targets for AR
- Plan, budget and approve activities to meet targets
- Schedule AR activities
- Evaluate results and refine approach
Contact me and I'll walk you through it.
Track record of success
Analyst Relations for MatsSoft
When I started as Head of Marketing at MatsSoft the company was already signed-up as a client of both Gartner and Forrester. But they lacked a plan, and had achieved nothing of value. Within two years I achieved the following:
Inclusion of MatsSoft in seven Forrester reports
MatsSoft was included in the following reports:
- Predictions 2015: The Age Of The Customer Is Set To Disrupt The BPM Market. Nov-2014
- TechRadar: CustomerCentric BPM Technology. Q4 2014
- Vendor Landscape: The Fractured, Fertile Terrain Of Lowcode Application Platforms. Jan-2016
- Calibrate Your BPM Center Of Excellence To Serve Digital Business Priorities. Apr-2016
- Brief: Introducing The New Breed Of Digital BPM Consultants. May-2016
- Vendor Landscape: BPM Platforms For Digital Automation. Feb-2017
- The Forrester Wave: LowCode Development Platforms. Q2 2016
Thought leadership and lead generation
Forrester video interview on Low-code disruption of BPM, June 2015
This video interview generated over a 1,000 leads, 8 pipeline opportunities and kept MatsSoft front of mind with Clay Richardson Forrester analyst.
Joint customer and prospect events
Forrester and MatsSoft Low-code Breakfast Briefings
These events in March and September 2015 significantly accelerated two major sales. Having Forrester analyst Clay Richardson speak at our events not only impressed customers, prospects and partners; it also ensured Clay got a detailed appreciation of our clients, capabilities and go-to-market strategy.
Video interview involving partner and Forrester
Forrester video interview with partner Mott MacDonald, June 2016
This extended interview with our customer and partner Mott MacDonald was a great way to immerse Forrester in our work, and effectively endorse three customer success stories. Later serialised as eight short videos, promoted by social media, this proved to be a great source for on-going content marketing.
Inclusion of MatsSoft in eleven Gartner reports
In the two years I managed our relationship with Gartner we succeeded in getting MatsSoft mentioned in eleven reports, including:
- Honorable mention of MatsSoft in Gartner Magic Quadrant for Intelligent Business Process Management Suites, March 2015
- Inclusion of MatsSoft in Gartner’s Market Guide to Business Process Management Platforms, May 2015
Gartner analysts handled 22 customer inquiries relating to MatsSoft in the period July 2015 to May 2016.
Analyst relations for Nimbus
I was VP Marketing for Nimbus Partners 2008-2011. When I started the CEO held tightly to the AR reigns. Little beyond a Gartner "honourable mention" was achieved until I lent a hand. Persistent effort and attention to detail was needed to move things forward. Not something the CEO had time for. Achievements were as follows:
Customer Award Win from Gartner
Nimbus customer Carphone Warehouse won prestigious Gartner Business Process Management (BPM) Excellence Award. I managed the award submission, case study and analyst interactions required to achieve this.
Visionary position on Gartner Magic Quadrant
Nimbus Control, was included in the ‘visionaries’ quadrant of the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Business Process Analysis Tools
Nimbus was first approached by TIBCO (leading to eventual acquisition) within a few weeks of the above award win and report publication.
Awareness and lead generation from AR
With the help of high-impact video case studies, I was able to get several of our customers speaking slots at Gartner's own BPM conferences:
- Carphone Warehouse – Customer case study presentation at Gartner BPM Summit 2011
- RNLI Guest Speaker at Gartner BPM Summit 2012
- Guide Dogs – Guest speaker at Gartner BPM Summit 2012
Nigel ‘gets’ analyst relations. I know, because I was Forrester’s Account Manager for MatsSoft and we worked together for two years. During that time Nigel formed trusted relationships with two of our key Analysts; and the results showed. Nigel enabled a small vendor to punch well above its weight, culminating in inclusion in a Wave report for a new software segment. Nigel was a pleasure to work with and I recommend him highly for any software company that wants to learn fast and improve their AR and marketing processes.
Osiris Atom-Ra, Account Manager, Forrester
I was Nigel’s Account Manager for two years during his time at MatsSoft. He was a pleasure to work with - particularly as he understood how to make Analyst Relations work for a small software vendor. During the time we worked together, Nigel put MatsSoft ‘on the map’ with the relevant analysts, achieving multiple report mentions as well as obtaining valuable advice for MatsSoft’s product and marketing strategy.
Jack Slaughter, Area Manager - SMB at Gartner